Construction Law Is All We Do
Call now: 949-751-6389
We are good at what we do, because Construction Law is All We Do
View Our Practice Areas

What steps can a contractor take to get paid in California?

Contractors in California who do good work have every right to expect the owner of the project to compensate them for their work, but what happens when the owner fails to pay up? It's not quite as simple as it might be in the case of people who fail to make their car payments, in which case the bank can essentially swoop in and repossess the vehicle. In the construction business it's not very likely that the contractor will be able to remove the improvement or building from the owner's property, so what legal steps can a contractor take to get the owner to live up to his or her end of the bargain?

The best course of action for a contractor in this situation may be to think about contacting an experienced California construction law attorney. An attorney may suggest the contractor obtain a mechanic's lien or a stop payment notice. These legal remedies allow a contractor to put a legal claim on another piece of property owned by the owner to be used to satisfy the contractor's claims in the event the owner does not pay the amount as agreed upon in the construction contract. Once a mechanic's lien is successfully perfected, the owner's property may be subject to foreclosure or sale to satisfy the contractor.

But before a contractor can just jump in and enforce a mechanic's lien, he or she first have to give the owner proper notice of that intent pursuant to the California Civil Code. This is done by serving the owner and any lenders with the notice, which must substantially comply with the form provided in Section 8202 of the Code. The contractor may also file this preliminary notice with the county recorder.

The preliminary notice paves the way for further legal action if necessary, including mechanic's liens and stop payment notices. But in many cases it may be the jolt of reality an owner needs to get serious and pay the contractor what is owed. For more information, an experienced California construction law attorney might be able to help.

Source: California Civil Code "Section 8200" accessed June 15, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us How We Can Help You

Bold labels are required.

Email us to request more information or schedule an appointment.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Firm Location:

19900 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 530
Irvine, CA 92612

Phone: 949-751-6389
Fax: 949-271-4861
Irvine Office Location

Firm Numbers: